Additional places to find legal help and information:
Texas's free legal information resources:
TexasLawHelp.org: Texas Law Help is a website dedicated to providing free, reliable legal information to low-income Texans. It is part of a broader effort within the national legal aid community to use technology, specifically the Internet, to enhance and expand the delivery of legal aid.
Self-Help Texas State Law Library website: https://www.sll.texas.gov/self-help
Texas Legal Services Referral Directory provides a book of statewide legal services, per-county organizations and statewide self-help resources.
Texas's civil legal aid programs:
Don’t know which office to call? Click HERE for the Texas Legal Services Referral Directory, organized by county on page 2.
- Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas (LANWT) provides free civil legal services to low income residents throughout North and West Texas, with offices in: Abilene, Amarillo, Brownwood, Dallas, Denton, Fort Worth, Lubbock, McKinney, Midland, Odessa, Plainview, San Angelo, Waxahachie, Weatherford, Wichita Falls
- Lonestar Legal Aid (LSLA) provides free civil legal services to low income residents in counties scattered throughout east, west and southwest Texas, as well as a small portion of Arkansas, with offices in: Angleton, Beaumont, Belton, Bryan, Conroe, Galveston, Houston, Longview, Nacogdoches, Paris, Texarkana, Tyler, Waco
- Texas RioGrande Legal Aid (TRLA) is a non-profit organization that provides free legal services to low-income residents in sixty-eight counties of Southwest Texas, and represents migrant and seasonal farm workers throughout the state of Texas and six southern states: Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas, with offices in: Alpine, Austin, Austin TAJ, Bee County Regional Public Defender, Bexar County Family Justice Center, Brownsville, Corpus Christi Courthouse, Corpus Christi Pueblo, Dallas, Del Rio, Del Rio Public Defender, Eagle Pass, Edinburg, El Paso, Harlingen, Laredo, Nashville (SMLS), San Antonio Main, San Antonio TAJ, Sinton, Starr County Public Defender, Victoria, Weslaco, Willacy County Public Defender
Need to hire an attorney?
- Find a local one through the State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral & Information Service (LRIS)
State Bar of Texas Legal Resources
- Free Legal Resources
- Problems with an Attorney
- Disaster Relief Resources
- Texas Lawyers for Texas Veterans
Still looking for more information?
- Downloadable pamphlets on a wide variety of topics may be found here: www.texasbar.com/pamphlets
Affordable Legal Insurance for Texans
Texas Legal is a statewide, nonprofit legal benefit plan that was founded by the State Bar of Texas and the Texas State Legislature in 1972 as an effort to better meet the legal needs of Texans. This program is where Texans can retain services from a licensed and participating attorney at a reduced cost. Afer 40 years, Texas Legal continues to help Texans resolve their legal issues and better manage their legal needs.